Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Personal Networking Strategy in an On-line World

There was an interesting post by Dennis D. McDonald addressing this question: would you benefit from having a personal online networking strategy?

In Dennis's view, a "personal online networking strategy" is a coherent view of how you use various media for communicating and managing relationships with other individuals and groups.

Now I actually wish that I had read this before I gaily sailed forth. Then, a Google search on Belshaw generated less than a thousand hits. Today, there are more than 492,000. Of these, as best I can work out, something over 10,000 link in some way to me.

Now I am not complaining. It's just that when I ventured forth into the on-line world I had no idea so that so many aspects of what I do or think about in both personal and professional life would become so visible. It becomes very hard to hide!

Maybe if I had thought about it, I would have gone a different route. But then, perhaps not. Still, I would have done things in a more conscious way.

I commend Dennis's post to you as a short, simple, introduction to the things that need to be considered.

No comments: